Nebraska Truck Driving Championships
Dear NTA Friends and Family:
I’m writing once again with bad news related to the COVID-19 pandemic. After some really tough deliberations, three of our leadership groups have voted to cancel the 2021 Nebraska Truck Driving Championships. This comes on the heels of last week’s announcement that the National Truck Driving Championships had also been cancelled. Most of the other state trucking associations are following suit with their championships events. While it seems like the news keeps getting better about the pandemic, our own surveys have shown that a very large number of our member companies are not going to participate in any large, in-person events until at least this coming autumn. Given the time and treasure commitments required of the NTA and the members who volunteer, sponsor and compete in the event, the numbers were just too bleak for move forward with it this year.
All is not lost, however! The good news is that we’re going to offer some meaningful and enjoyable ways to engage with our wonderful professional drivers throughout the coming spring and summer. And 2021 will see our biggest push ever to support our drivers during September’s Truck Driver Appreciation Week.
We need everyone to stay with us and stay the course in 2021 so that, when COVID-19 is truly in our rearview, we can come back stronger and better than ever.
Kent Grisham, President & CEO
Start your engines! The Cornhusker State produced two national champion drivers in 2019 and we’re determined to do it again in 2021.
Get your drivers signed up today.
Put your trucking knowledge to the test…against the best!
A STATEWIDE COMPETITION FOR PROFESSIONAL HEAVY TRUCK DRIVERS WHO MAINTAIN ACCIDENT-FREE DRIVING RECORDS
Four Phases of the Nebraska Truck Driving Championship
- Written test covering safety regulations and trucking industry facts
- Vehicle inspection where drivers identify defects
- Interview with a law enforcement office
- Driving skills test in these classes:
• Straight truck with class A, B or C license
• Three-, four- & five-axle sleeper berth and five-axle flatbed driver with class A license
• Five-axle tank driver needs class A license with N or X endorsements
• Twin trailers driver with class A license with T endorsement
• Step van driver can be a CDL or non-CDL license
• Concrete mixer driver with class B license
Winners in each class advance to the National Truck Driving Championships. NTA member companies sponsor their drivers and owner/operators to attend the two-day contest.
700 E Stolley Park Rd
Grand Island, NE 68801
Future NTDC Championships
- June 17-19, 2021
- June 2-4, 2022
- June 1-3, 2023
- May 30- June 1, 2024
2019 NTDC Class Winners – Congratulations!
- Christina Gaines – FedEx Express
- Shawn Harms – FedEx Freight
- Steven Hays – Grand Island Express
- Eric Stein Werner – Enterprises
- Chris Corbett – Old Dominion Freight Line
- James O’Neill – FedEx Freight
- David Dye – FedEx Freight
- Kevin Zelasney – ABF Freight
- John Poppen – FedEx Freight
- Thomas Rott – Grand Island Express
- Tom Canning – Old Dominion Freight Line
- Robie Jensen – Fremont Contract Carriers
Five-axle sleeper class:
- Tim Dean – Werner Enterprises
- Jeff Tomlinson – Fremont Contract Carriers
- Jonathan Bhatt – Grand Island Express
Tank truck class:
- Larry Derr – Werner Enterprises
- Scott Stroup – YRC Freight
- Tim Anderson – ABF Freight
- Luke Beiermann – Lyman-Richey Corp.
- Josh Howell – Sunrise Express
- George Chaney – FedEx Freight
- Terry Durham – Werner Enterprises
- David Auger – FedEx Freight
- Rich Boyd – Crete Carrier
Step van class:
- Adam Stroup – FedEx Express
- John W. Peyton – FedEx Express
- Chris Cherry – FedEx Express
Mixer truck class:
- John Brezina – Lyman-Richey Corporation
- Tommy Inzauro – Lyman-Richey Corporation
- Steve Kelley – Lyman-Richey Corporation
- FedEx Freight
- Werner Enterprises
- ABF Freight